Wednesday 25 January 2012

Magnets are the Future!



I have been busy, finally after playing warhammer 40k on and off for about more than 2 years, at last I have a 1750 list with pretty much exact model rep done, how lame, you may well think.

Currently in 40k I started out with chaos, I have a fair old pile of them but probably would struggle to field an army that didn't at least contain a few stand in models or wrong bits of wargear.  Next game imperial guard, they are even less complete with half my tanks proxied by mere chimeras because I didn't want to go to forgeworld.  A small flurry followed with eldar and daemons, neither of which had the right models, I sometimes used some really crazy proxies as my greater daemons and fiends, usually tyranid warriors got the job. 

Then at last came my dream childhood army, Blood Angels which I used to play and collect back when I was about 10 so long ago, they too were a mishmash of random units and models thrown together to make a playable force that at some point during the game had to be explained.  After that came dark eldar who are in the same boat (literally quite often) and though I'm working on those too, things like nets in 1 per box are a nightmare to get 3 of without buying a billion wyches.

So I settled on Blood Angels, some were already painted and many will have seen them on the blog already as and when they were completed.  Only now though are they actually built, fully playable without needing details on what is what.

The list I made is kind of a hybrid DoA list that can also be used in a jump forward deployed style with heavy support from devs (getting that many missile launchers together was a pain also), as far as HQ goes this particular list is special character based and uses the sanguinor, he is removable of course and the next job will be to take him out and use those 275 points to grab some scouts and another librarian at the very least.

Now you might be thinking, what's so hard about putting together 30 ish assault marines, well nothing except they are ALL magnetised with removable jump packs.  As per the guide I did HERE, every single one has 2 rare earth magnets on it meaning I can change them to regular non jump marines easily by adding a magnet to a regular pack.

Here are some pictures, the grey ones still need spraying red as soon as my FLGS gets more red paint in stock.

 The whole gang

Excuse the half painted Sanguinor, its a work in progress and the wings do my head in

 Assault Melta squad 1

 Honor Guard with 2 meltas is one of my favourite ones, they all use the robed legs model and will have a fair bit of gold on them to single them as being the elite.

 Assault Melta squad 2

 Assault Flamer squad

 Dev Squad 1

And finally dev squad 2


Also in case you are wondering this is my initial draft of the list I am working towards, points not detailed as some frown on that but should come out to exactly 1750 unless my calc let me down.

HQ

Sanguinor 

Librarian
Jump pack

Honor Guard
Jump packs
2Melta guns

Elites

Sanguinary Priest
Jump Pack
Power weapon

Sanguinary Priest
Jump Pack
Power weapon

Troops

10 Assault marines
Power fist
2 Melta
1 Melta Pistol

10 Assault marines
Power fist
2 Melta
1 Melta Pistol

10 Assault marines
Power fist
2 Flamer

Heavy Support

5 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers

5 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers

So the question is, what exactly to replace the Sanguinor with going forward, a discussion over on Imperius Dominatus does suggest scouts as a nice objective sitter so that may well be the next job, or how about just another 10 marines to bulk out the force a bit.  I also have the parts for another librarian so that is a cheap option too.  Any suggestions folks?